The Montpelier Historical Society presents their three-day annual event, Rendezvous on the Reserve. The event is held at 4400 N. 800 E., Montpelier on September 6, 7 and 8. Friday hours are from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Sunday 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Golf cart tours will be held on Saturday from 9:00 to 10:00 a.m. for visitors with mobility issues. Children 12 years of age and under are free and children older then 12 and adults are $5 for admission.
This living history project helps fund the Montpelier Historical Society and their many projects devoted to preserving the history of the community. The Society recently celebrated their 50th birthday.
This event is being held in a natural setting that includes walking over uneven ground and trails through wooded areas. It is recommended that guests exercise caution and wear appropriate clothing such as long pants and sturdy shoes. Insect repellent is also recommended. Rendezvous on the Reserve, the Montpelier Historical Society and associated entities are not responsible for accidents or injuries.
This is an authentic encampment. Once you enter the settlement, you will be greeted by interpreters who authentically recreate life in Indiana spanning the years of 1796 to 1840. Everything within the confines of the camp from clothing and accoutrements to guns, tools and camp kitchens are as historically accurate as research allows. Their experienced campers will demonstrate life skills needed to survive the times. Muzzle-loader Shooting, Tomahawk and Knife Throwing and Archery demonstrations are held during the event. You will learn about the historic Godfroy Reservation, the treaty, the land, the food and the many visitors who came to the reserve.
This living history encampment depicts the fur trade-era in the Indiana wilderness. This gathering of settlers, natives, traders and trappers is held on the Blackford County Reservation of Myaamia Chief Francois Godfroy on the site chosen by him in accordance with the terms of the 1818 Treaty of St. Marys between the Miami and the U.S. Government.
A little history on the Rendezvous site: The Godfroy Reserve was one of the reservations set apart for the use of the natives who still occupied portions of Indiana at the time of the third treaty of St. Marys, in October, 1818. Under the terms of this treaty all the land lying west of the Twelve Mile Purchase and south of the Wabash River was given up by the Indians, with certain reservations of lands.
One of these being the Godfroy Reserve, a tract of six sections lying along the Salamonie River, contained six sections, Harrison Township and 344 acres of this was in Jay County, sections 17-20. Myaamia under the rule of Francois Godfroy were living on this farm for eighteen years before the first white settlers came to live in the vicinity.
Long before the Miami claimed these lands as their own, nomadic bands of ancient people roamed much of Indiana. This is also true for the area of the Godfroy Reservation. We know this because of the evidence left behind. Projectile points, stone tools and slate decoration have been found here in great numbers over the years. Many, if not most, of these artifacts pre-date the Miami occupation by hundreds and sometime thousands of years. Artifacts from known camp/work sites have spanned thousands of years. It is obvious that this area was significant to those early inhabitants. It should come as no surprise that this area was personally chosen by Francois Godfroy as his second home. Even in his day, this area was known for plentiful bounty in its rivers, streams and forests.